Thursday, April 24, 2008

More details and an update

Ok so now that I have had a little sleep I will try to explain all that has occurred over the last few days. As I mentioned on MySpace he wasn't feeling well at clinic and wasn't acting himself so they drew cultures and we were on our way. So Tuesday I went to class and when I get home start to get things settled for the night he spikes a temp of 102.5. I called the on call nurse and she said because of his counts being good they couldn't do a direct admit but to take him to the ER and if he looked that bad they would be just as concerned as I was. So instead of taking him to our local ER like we usually do because then they just put him in an ambulance and ship him up here anyway we decided to cut out the middle man and drive the 2 hours to Mercy's ER. I have never been so disappointed in this hospital as I was that night. It was awful from the condition of the room when they brought us back to the way the nursing staff treated us. Needless to say I was not happy and I let them know it. After screwing around all night long they decided to send us home at 5 am. So this upset me because first of all I knew that his cultures would grow, I knew something was wrong and I told them that and I had been up for literally 24 hours and was really concerned about making it home alive. But they insisted so we left, obviously we made it home ok but it was not a good ride. I will never drive that tired again. So we went to bed when we got home and as soon as we got up in the afternoon the doctor called - his cultures grew! I was so angry at them. So now we threw everything back in the car and headed back up for the 3rd time in 3 days. If they just would have listened to me. I complained to the ER nurse while we were there and she asked if I wanted to speak to the doctor - I told her that I would just speak to Dr. Shore the next day because he has learned not to doubt me. That sounds rude but he used to doubt me until he learned that every time I said there was something wrong, I was right. So that was our fun/drama/crazy filled time. Last night we had to sit in the ER to wait for a room to open up and the nurse that cared for us helped to redeem the hospital in my eyes. She was wonderful and more like I'm used to seeing at this hospital.

One of the doctors just left, he has Strep Pnuemo just like last time, like I figured. They are guessing it is from his ear infection again. So Nancy his NP is going to try to schedule him w/ and ENT doctor and see about tubes. Ear infections have been a steady problem for him since he was a baby. But they said they are always booked so it may be awhile, we'll see. His ANC is down to 7000 which is good, in my eyes because it was 10,000 on Monday, 11,000 on Tuesday so I was worried I don't want it to be that high because of what that can bring on. So he seems better this morning, he was ok yesterday too just tired. We are waiting for his breakfast and hopefully he will eat. And they said as long as he drinks they won't hook him up to IV fluids so I'm pushing the fluids really hard because it is difficult for him to play while hooked up to the fluids. Ok, his breakfast just arrived so I'll go, I'll update as soon as we know more. Thanks for the prayers.

No comments:

Team Donavynn on Facebook
Photobucket