Friday, December 5, 2008

New Month, New Round Of Treatment

So we were admitted yesterday. We sat in the clinic from 9am to 7:30pm before we were finally able to get into our room. Apparently they had some really late discharges. Anyway he finished the HD Methotrexate at 6 tonight (it runs over 24 hours) And all last night as well as from now until we leave he'll have to have his urine checked and they want him to go at least every 2 hours. The methotrexate is eliminated through the kidneys so if he doesn't go the levels will build up in his body and can cause burns in his bladder etc. Very scary. But he will start the leucovorin tomorrow which helps the body eliminate it as well. So hopefully we'll be out of here on Sunday, but time will tell. We'll know more when he has his next methotrexate level drawn, that will tell us how fast he is eliminating it.

He has been feeling really good. Playing his DS, riding his scooter up and down the hall and talking up a storm with all the nurses. It is really nice to see him feeling so well during a hospital stay. There really isn't a whole lot else to tell. I have finals on Tuesday and Wednesday and then I'm off until January 12th which will be nice, but it is pretty likely from what I'm being told that much of that will be spent here with low counts. Hopefully they're wrong, but only time will tell. Either way, I'm just happy to be that much closer to graduation. I can't believe I've just about gotten through the semester that I didn't think was possible because he relapsed right after it started. It went fast. I'm praying that the next year goes just as fast with school and that he continues to kick cancer right in the ass. That is what he tells me, "I'm kicking those bad cells in the pants!" lol He just shows me more and more everyday how strong and brave he is. Sometimes I really wish that I had his strength and his spunk! He just lets everything roll of his back, he is cooperative and kind and just so stinking happy all the time! lol I love it! I know that that positive attitude is going to help him out so much through all of this.

Ok well, I apologize but my mind hasn't been all there lately. I haven't been blogging like I usually do. It's just been so crazy and I've been feeling so drained. Hopefully with the break from school that will get better. Please continue to pray that Donavynn stays healthy, and doesn't get any of those nasty mouth sores. Thanks for the love and support.

BTW the benefit is the 13th. Starbucks has donated coffee etc, Bings donated the pancake mix, and everything fell into place very fast. It should be a great Breakfast with Santa!!! If you would like to attend and need further information give me a call. And thank you Rachael so much for all of your help and support in this difficult time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear things are going so well :) I to have finals next week, dreading that, but it's gotta be done! I plan on placing an Application to the nursing program there at UCM in Jan.
Jayden's class is doing a toy drive for the oncology floor at Children's Mercy, and I told him that maybe Donavynn would pick out the toy we got ;)
TTYS
~Angela

Team Donavynn on Facebook
Photobucket