Thursday, June 26, 2008

Day 2 in the hospital

Day 12 of diarrhea, day 6 of the fever and still no answers. I am starting to get really frustrated! As far as modern medicine has come and they still can't figure out what is wrong with my son. All the cultures remain negative, big surprise but every day he has a fever they draw more of them. We haven't gotten his CBC report for the day yet. He is on isolation so that is leaving me feeling very isolated. The aid we had yesterday was a classmate of mine, so she came in when she had time and would sit and talk with us. But today the aid simply stood in the door when I called for stuff, not wanting to gown up and come on in. He is on contact isolation because they don't know what is causing this and they don't want it to spread through out the hospital. And I am not expecting any visitors unless a couple of my friends can stop up because my mom has to work and we don't have the extra money for Dave to drive up. I hate that the hospital is so far from home. As happy as I am that we are here and they are trying to figure out what is wrong, and they have him on IV fluids so we aren't worrying about dehydration, it does truly suck that we are so far from everyone. I'm sorry I don't mean to whine. I'm just so frustrated. Everyone just acts like "Oh well, we don't know what it is, sorry about your luck" I can't say that it is everyone, the nurses have been great. So we are just waiting for the team to come around, actually I could care less about when they get here because they are just going to tell us what they did yesterday.

On the up side, Donavynn just asked for breakfast. We'll see if he eats. He did ask for dinner yesterday but then when it got here he said he didn't want it.

I did get him to color me one picture yesterday and he did play with some dinosaurs a little, so he does have some energy that comes and goes. I'll upload those pics soon. But I am going to try to keep busy today, gonna clean the room up, give him a sponge bath, color with him, play some games and whatever else I can think of, if he'll stay awake today. :) But I can't complain if he doesn't because I know that the sleep is really good for him.

Ok just one more bitch here - his cultures aren't growing yet, they keep giving him the strongest antibiotics known to man! With all the antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria out there I'm really not thrilled about him receiving antibiotics that he doesn't need! But the nurse just said that they will continue to do that until they know what is wrong. Under normal circumstances they would start him on the heavy duty ones and then when the cultures grew they would do a sensitivity and find out what other drugs work so that he wasn't on a broad spectrum antibiotic this whole time, but because nothing is growing they still him on Oxacillin and one other one that starts with an F.

Ok well, that is enough bitching for now. I'll try to be more positive when I update again, I just needed to vent a little. Thanks for listening!

No comments:

Team Donavynn on Facebook
Photobucket