Saturday, June 28, 2008

Day 4 Update

Ok where to begin. We still aren't sure of anything yet but we have learned a bit today. He got blood this morning because his hemoglobin was low (7.7). His other counts are starting to come back up - his WBC is 1.14 (1140) and his ANC is 240. So because the other cells are recovering and the red cells are not the decided to do another viral test for parvovirus B19 don't be confused, like I was, this isn't the same parvo virus that affects animals, it is actually the virus that causes fifth disease. They don't think that that is what it is but they wanted to check anyway because he does have some S&S of that (low reticulocytes, slapped cheek look even though H&H is low, diarrhea) the good thing is that if it is that they can help him a little. Being a virus there isn't much that they can do but they can give him IV Ig to help give his immune system a little boost to kick it in the ass. The down side is that now we are on contact AND droplet precautions!

I'm not overly thrilled with the aide today. Dave was able to make it up last night which was nice, he gave me a little birthday break from the hospital. While I was gone he told me that the aide cleaned Donavynn's butt and instead of patting she wiped and he was now bleeding, and instead of using warm wet washcloths she used a spray cleaner. This wouldn't normally bother me because they would be doing what they do for a lot of other kids BUT I wrote out care instructions for his bottom and hung them above his bed. So WTH! Anyway, he seems better now. He has been eating. I brought him back a happy meal and he ate 1 chicken nugget and most of his fries along with all but one mini muffin in a package. He was also snacking a little while I was gone and Dave was able to get him to laugh and play a little. So I'm not sure if it is the blood, Daddy or the fact that he is starting to feel better or a combination of the 3 but he is better today than he has been in over a week. I couldn't even get him to talk for the last 3 days, he would scowl at me and say "I don't wanna talk to you!"

Well I'm thinking that is about it for now, I gotta go give him his much needed bed bath. I'll update when we know more, oh and BTW we won't know about the parvo thing until Monday because they don't run that test over the weekend.

Please pray for:
1. Rapid healing of his body from this infection and his bottom from the breakdown.
2. That we will have answers soon.
3. That he will stay happy and eating with continued improvements, that the fever will go away the diarrhea will stop.

Other things I may or may not have mentioned in a previous blog - his cultures from our local hospital came back positive the other night at 2 am, that has been deemed a contaminate just like I figured. And though his fever was kept at bay for 19 1/2 hours yesterday it has been back since so we are now on the 7th day of fever and 14th of diarrhea.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hoping things can get better for the both of you, I know staying in the hospital is so not any one's idea of fun, but hang in there! I know we have never met face to face, but living in Shawnee, I just wanted you to know that I can stop in a give some love and encouragement if you need. I don't know how we can talk, as I don't have Myspace IM, and I don't want to give any info out to you through here. Take care
(((HUGS)))

Serena said...

Hello Angela, not sure if you'll read this but if you want to stop in feel free. You can email me sdolphins@charter.net if you get this. Let me know when you do so I can remove this comment. :)

Team Donavynn on Facebook
Photobucket