Monday, October 20, 2008

Erwinia dose 2 down... and today's updates

Ok today has been better with many improvements. His breathing is good. With the Bipap they like to see 10ml volume per kilogram (lung expansion) He weighs about 22 kilograms so he should have 220 ml with each inspiration yesterday he was getting about 170 or lower, today he is getting over 200 for most respirations and some are even over 300 ml, so that is really good. They also gave him a pinwheel to blow on. I wish I had thought of these things at home when I couldn't get him to do anything. The RT said blowing bubbles or a pinwheel works, so I'll have to remember that if he is ever bed ridden again, because he is still too little for the incentive spirometer.

He is still fever free thankfully. And he even ate almost a full bag of mini muffins today, he left about 1/2 when he said he was done, so that is an improvement. I was also able to get him to laugh, though he still doesn't have a whole lot to say. I made up a silly song to sing while I'm cleaning him to help distract him because his bottom is so sore, it made him laugh, but he wouldn't say it. Then the one time I was cleaning him he screamed "Stupid poop!" lol As soon as he knew I heard what he said he clammed up again. His bottom is so super red, and I was really concerned about turning and positioning him, but that wasn't helping, it was still beet red and he would scream anytime I cleaned him or applied any ointment, so I called in the doctor because it was looking a lot like yeast. And I was right, so they are ordering something for that as well, and the wound care team will be up in the morning to take a look at it. The nystatin just wasn't cutting it, and it usually doesn't for him, he usually has to have the ketoconazole, so that is what he is ordering and it should be up soon.

Dose 2 of Erwinia went well. Lets keep praying that the rest of them do as well. He is napping right now, he hasn't slept at all today so this too might be a good sign, he hasn't been quite as tired. I think that that is all for the updates for right now. Gonna go for now, will update again when there is more to tell.

No comments:

Team Donavynn on Facebook
Photobucket